FibroScan is the world’s first non-invasive device capable of instant quantification of liver fibrosis. It uses a patented technology known as Vibration-Controlled Transient Elastography (VCTE) to provide reliable, accurate and reproducible assessment of liver tissue stiffness.
What is FibroScan®?
FibroScan® is a non-invasive, convenient and highly accurate test for liver fat content and fibrosis. It utilises the patented Vibration-Controlled Transient Elastography to measure the stiffness, scarring and fat accumulation in the liver. The controlled attenuation parameter (CAP) score and liver stiffness result (measured in eKpa) can measure the fatty change in the liver to diagnose fatty liver disease. It is a non-invasive and painless test. Repeated tests with FibroScan® will not result in any side effects.
The examinee lies on his/ her back. The physician places the FibroScan® probe in an intercostal space with slight pressure. It generates a harmless elastic shear wave from its probe to the liver tissue. This wave is tracked and measured by ultrasound. The examinee could only feel a slight vibration at the tip. FibroScan® examination is radiation-free and non-invasive.
Importance of Liver Fibrosis/ Cirrhosis Assessment
Liver Fibrosis refers to the formation of excess fibrous tissue in the liver as a result of long-term inflammation. When liver fibrosis worsens, it can progress into liver cirrhosis. Many liver cancer is one of the most common causes of cancer death in Hong Kong. Chronic hepatitis B & C, fatty liver disease, diabetes mellitus, and alcoholism are common causes of liver cirrhosis. As liver fibrosis is the early pathological process of liver cirrhosis, assessment of liver fibrosis has become an important clinical parameter to predict the risk of liver-related complications.
Progression of liver cirrhosis
1. Liver inflammation
2. Liver fibrosis
3. Liver cirrhosis
Advantages of Liver Assessment
Blood tests including liver enzymes only reveal the degree of inflammation in various types of hepatitis, but they cannot measure the severity of liver fibrosis. Although liver biopsy is the traditional gold standard to assess liver fibrosis, its use is limited by its invasive nature and the risk of bleeding. Therefore, FibroScan® is the indisputable non-invasive tool for liver fibrosis assessment.
- Non-invasive method
- Allow accurate measurement of liver fibrosis and detection of mild fatty liver
- Results immediately available after the examination
- Numeric results allow monitoring by repeated examinations
1. The examinee lies on his/ her back with right arm raised behind the head.
2. The physician applies water-based gel to the skin and places the FibroScan® probe in an intercostal space with slight pressure.
3. A harmless elastic shear wave is released from the probe to measure the severity of fatty liver and liver fibrosis.
4. The examinee will be informed of the result immediately. In general, the examination lasts around 15 minutes
FibroScan® service is available in the following centre:
Tsim Sha Tsui Branch
Room 209-213, Hong Kong Pacific Centre, 28 Hankow Road, Tsim Sha Tsui (Tsim Sha Tsui station Exit A1)
- Chronic hepatitis B and Hepatitis C carrier
Persons infected by HIV
Persons with high blood pressure or high cholesterol
Persons with chronic liver disease
Persons with diabetes
Persons with high alcohol intake
Persons with alcoholic liver disease
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to the test
- Fasting for 2 hours before the test. Small amount of water is allowed.
- The FibroScan® test is not recommended for pregnant women.